Google Photos is the one-stop solution for all the photo and video needs. It lets you store unlimited photos in their cloud, and can be accessed anytime and anywhere.Storage has become a concern in today’s world as with growing technology, grows the sizes of the files. And photos are not an exception in this case. A lot of Smartphone do have expandable storages unlike iPhones, and even if they don’t, the manufacturers now have tweaked it to as big as 256 GB. However, not everyone likes the idea of storing the photos to the phone alone; what if the device is destroyed in an apocalypse?
Plus, phones start bugging with lots of files stored in it. Hence, it is very necessary to find a cloud storage, which can serve the purpose and also, surprise you sometimes with its creativity. Google Photos does it all for you; from storing your photos to creating new albums automatically. So, let’s see the features of Google Photos in detail.
What are the Common Features of Google Photos?
- You can upload any photos not larger than 16 megapixels and videos not greater than 1080p full HD resolution.
- You can upload unlimited photos if you choose the “High Quality” image size option for photos.
- Or you will be using the 15 GB free storage if you choose to back up in the original size, a post which you can buy extra cloud storage.
- Google Photos can identify people, even babies, in your image library with mind-blowing accuracy.
- Automatically backs up photos from Apple Photos to the library; however, you will need to redirect it to the right folder (to be backed up) in case of Mac.
- You can have the full control over what to back up and when to back up at which quality.
- The images can be shared online directly from Google Photos to social media, email etc.
- Google Photos will give you plenty of flexibility over backups; you can allow the app to back up over Wi-Fi only, hence, saving mobile data.
- The automatic photo assistant is worth a mention. It will summarise your trip by creating a separate folder for photos taken in a specific location.
- It will automatically create GIFs and a movie out of it with a background music, which you can customize later.
Special Features are:
- These automatic creations will show up in the Assistant tab; where you can either save them to your library or discard with a swipe.
- You can also make your own GIFs and movies. Good thing to surprise someone on their birthday or anniversary.
- It has a Rediscover this day feature on the photos homepage (just like in Facebook). Someday you might just wake up to be greeted with your ex’s photo and sweet memories.
- However, not to worry, you can always hide someone in Google Photos; in this way, they will no longer be featured in the Rediscover this day
- Search in one killer-feature which Google photos have. You can use keywords like Selfies or trip last weekend and it will deliver you the accurate results.
- It has an option to free up your phone’s storage. Google Photos automatically identifies the backed-up photos, so that, you can delete them from your device.
- The built-in photo editing tool works very well. Good things to have in a photo library.
- You can change the size of the thumbnails, hence, the number of rows and columns in the library by using the pinching gesture.
- By default, the photos in the library are sorted by the month and year the photo was taken.
- You can remove the geo location of a photo, if any, before sharing it.
How to Get all Your Photos into Google Photos?
Google photos can be accessed on various devices and platforms like Android, iOS, Windows PC and Mac OSX.
Below will be a step-by-step guide to how to use the app on your device. Please remember that you will need a reliable internet connection as backing up the photos might take time (depending on your collection).
iOS and Android:
Google Photos app is available to download for free on iOS and Android. It is pre-installed in most of the devices running stock Android version. Once downloaded, you will just need to sign into the app using your Google account.
It then will automatically upload the photos; however, you will first be given options to either upload the photos in their original sizes or in the optimized size. As you know each of these size-types have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Mac and Windows PC:
Auto-uploading the photos from your computer and even camera/memory cards via computer are possible as well. Not a rocket-science at all!
- First, you need to go to the official website and download the Desktop Uploader.
- Install the application and log in to it with your Google account.
- Once you’re signed in, you will be prompted to choose the backup sources from within your computer.
- On Mac, the uploader will automatically include sources like iPhoto Library, Apple Photos Library, Desktop and Pictures folders
- You can also add folders or external storage sources like camera, memory card, hard drive etc.
So, this basically is how to get all of your photos into Google Photos. Once the photos are backed-up, you can access it anytime from anywhere on your device with an internet connection. It is a great app and is fun to use, especially with the occasional surprises. Go ahead, give it a try and ditch the worry of losing your photos. Hope you have found this article helpful; please let us know your feedback in the comments section and do share it!